For the chiffon cake:
A. Sugar 10g
A. Egg yolks 2
B. Cakeflour 42g, sifted
B. Oil 35g
B. Milk 35g
C. Sugar 30g
C. Egg whites 2
1. Beat A till light and pale.
2. Add B to 1.
3. Beat C till stiff and fold into the cake batter.
4. Pour into a lined 7 in cake tin and bake at 150°C for 25 to 30 minutes. Test with a skewer, it should come out clean.
For the lychee mousse:
Cake 1cm high
A. Lychee 150g (without skin and stone)
A. Lychee juice 20g
A. Lemon juice 1 tsp (optional)B. Water 15g
B. Sugar 45g
Gelatine 10g or 3½ leaves
Whipping cream 120g
Egg white 30g
1. Blitz A and set aside.
2. Boil B till 117°C and set aside.
3. Beat egg white to soft peak add in syrup from 2 and beat till stiff.
4. Soak gelatine leave (as per packet instruction) until soft and dissolve in a double boiler. Add to lychee mixture from 1 above.
5. Beat cream till spreadable consistency.
6. Fold egg white and cream into lychee mixture.
7. Arrange cake at the bottom of a 7in cake pan and pour the mousse over. Chill in refrigerator until set before serving.