Tuesday, January 05, 2010

[HK Dec 2009] Shanghai Restaurant on Jardines Bazaar

First day in Hong Kong. It was late afternoon when we checked into the hotel.

We were staying at Holiday Inn Express behind Times Square, a fantastic location!.

We met up with my friend Leng Nui San for dinner. We went shopping at Sogo while waiting for her to finish work. Too many shops and stuff in Causeway Bay, my eyes and feet cannot keep pace.

By the time she came we were famished! Straight away she brought us to this ancient Shanghai restaurant on Jardines Bazaar. You should see the waiters, they were all, well, a-n-c-i-e-n-t. I can picture them working since their teenage years but I can't imagine whiling their time away all these years.

You know how fast-pace everything in Hong Kong is. In this place, it's like the time stood still. Aged tables and chairs which must tell lots of interesting stories, slippery tiled ancient floor. Slow movement of staff.

I kind of like it, its more humane, full of characters.

Shanghai rest@Jardine HK

Pan fried bun
Pan fried bun filled with pork

Why the lone bun?

I was too eager to tuck in till Leng Nui San reminded me to take photos. This lone bun is waiting for its owner, Leng Chai Mason (obviously Leng Nui's husband), who was on his way.

Mock crab dish
Mock crab

It's really just stir fried egg whites. You stir the yolk into the whites (which will resemble crab roe) and eat with dashes of vinegar.

Double cooked pork@Shanghai Rest
Double cooked pork

I prefer the veges rather than the meat in this dish. They are crunchy and flavoursome.

Greens@Shanghai rest
Chinese leaves with ham


Claypot chick n dumpling@Shanghai Rest
Chicken and dumplings in claypot

Once again, I almost forgot to take photo, there was no more dumplings! Princess alone ate 6!!

Bamboo shooy@Shanghai rest
Braised bamboo shoots

I love bamboo shoots but still a far cry from Taiwanese version.

Smoked fish@Shanghai est
Smoked fish

A real Shanghai delicacy. Smoked fish coated in sweet glaze. I love it.

Red bean pancake@Shanghai Rest
Red bean pancake

Deep-fried pancake filled with red bean paste.

I stuffed myself silly though most dishes were quite oily but they were tasty. It's not the type of food you can get in Brunei or even in Shanghainese restaurants in Brissie.

Thank you so much Leng Nui San for giving us a wonderful treat.

No comments: