Tuesday, November 16, 2010

[Sydney Jun2010] Adriano Zumbo

Adriano Zumbo needs no introduction. He is Australia's answer to the world's famous Pierre Hermes.

I almost didn't go to his patisserie in Balmain due to rain and illness. But on the last day in Sydney, there was only a drizzle since morning and I felt better so Princes and me hopped on the bus outside QVB heading to Balmain.

I was so excited when I first saw the pink sign and the oh so tiny shop, so cute.

Everything looked so good behind the cabinet. Oh, calamity, what to choose??!

But I made my choice quickly as I excluded the chocolatey and caramely. I was not too happy when a Korean girl dragging her just-met skinhead european boyfriend squeezed past me, went straight up to the counter, cut everyone else's queue. Nobody chastised her but I gave her a dirty look. And she later returned some at the Adriano's chocolate cafe three doors up. Shot some murderous glances at Princess when she started singing loudly because she's happy.

Eh hello, she was the rude one in the first place, so I stared hard at the big pockmark on her face and fake some mock laughs. To be honest, I don't really think much of it in the first place. I don't judge a person by his or her looks.

Coincidentally, one of Adriano's girl staff also has a mark on her face which cover the bridge of her nose all the way across the eye and to the temple. But I find her pretty. Chinese has a saying "相由心生" which roughly means your inside will reflect on your looks.

The mean pockmark girl may think it's just queue cutting what's the big deal? Well, it's a matter of principle. If you are in a hurry or have some valid reasons and tell me in the first place, I wouldn't mind to let anyone go first. But if you do it purposely, it's a no-no in my book.

What a great pear of...@Adriano Zumbo
What a great pear of...........:Almond creme, pear vanilla creme patisserie, pate a choux sable, pear gel, almond crunch & almond struesel

You might recognise this if you follow Australia's Junior Masterchef. Glorious beauty, pear-fection.

This was set as the final pressure test for the two finalists, Jack and Isabella (last night) to determine who's the winner. Both the kids' versions looked really good. So talented and so young!

I think people should stop laughing at Queenlanders being the bogan in everything especially in the gourmet food/fine dining scene. The rest of the country was outrage when best fish & chips is won by Fishmonger's Wife in East Brisbane, best coffee a close tie between Merlo and Campos.

With recent major competitions on TV like Junior Masterchef, My Kitchen Rules and Australian Idol etc won by Queenlanders, I think people should really come to terms with the fact that Queenlanders are a force to be reckoned with.

X section of PEAR by AZ
Cross section pic of pear custard and pear jelly filled profiteroles sitting on a praline crunch base and separated by marzipan and white chocolate.

ROSES ARE RED MANDIES ARE ORANGE@AZ
Roses are red, mandies are orange: Biscuit macaron, rose creme brulee, mandarin curd, mandarin creme legere

I also bought some macarons but they were wolfed down so quick, I forgot to take photos. To be honest, looking at the macarons rustic shells (top not smooth), I didn't have high hopes. But when you bit in, the shells are so light and slightly chewy and the ganache filling packed some serious flavour, it's one of the best if not the best I have tasted so far. For the first time, I fight with Princess for every bite. Safe to say, Big King never get to see even the crumbs hehe.

Words can't begin to decribe how good, great these work of arts are. You have got to make the PILGRIM yourself to his unassuming shop in Balmain to go on a gastronomic journey.

I can't wait for his book, out 2011!!

No comments: