One of the food I love and miss when I'm away from home is laksa, there are many versions of laksa but this Sarawak laksa is my favourite. Those who think Singapore laksa is fantastic and lemak, this will send you to heaven!
If you are not rajin (hard-working) enough to make your own laksa paste like me, just buy those prepacked paste. But it cannot be just ANY prepacked laksa paste, it has to be the legendary blue swallow brand from Kuching. This is not produced mass-market so have to buy from Kuching only. Too bad if you don't know anyone from Kuching or anyone going to Kuching. If you never try it, you are missing out on one of the best flavour you'll ever taste in your life.
I got my mom (who visited Bintulu to attend a wedding) who in turn got one of my relative to buy in Kuching and lug it to Sibu then to Miri then to Brunei then travel with me to UK again, indeed around the world laksa this is.
Method of cooking is printed on the back of the label.
My way of cooking:
Ingredients (serves 2):
1 chicken carcass
150g laksa paste
1 chicken breast, boiled and shred by hand
Fried bean curd (tau-pok), as much as you like
1 egg, make into omelette and cut into thin shreds
Cucumber, cut into thin shreds
Noodle or rice vermicelli
1. Boil the chicken carcass for ½ hour for stock.
2. Boil the laksa paste in enough water for ½ hour (covering the paste by 2 inches).
3. Pour 1 into 2 (just pour enough for 2 portions, remaining stock set aside for other use).
4. Bring to boil, lower heat and add coconut milk (as much or as little as you like).
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Put noodle in bowl, ladle over some soup.
7. Dunk the shredded chicken meat, fried bean curd, omelette and cucumber into bowl and serve with the lime (to squirt or not depends on your taste).
PS. You can also add coriander and beansprouts (both I don’t like so I omitted).